Thu, 29 Oct|
IRL COURSE - Stand-up Comedy - In Depth - Beginners
easylaughs is psyched to offer Lara Ricote's deep dive into the basic principles of stand-up comedy!
Time & Location
29 Oct 2020, 18:30 – 17 Dec 2020, 21:30
Q-Factory, Atlantisplein 1, 1093 NE Amsterdam, Netherlands
About the Event
Taught by Lara Ricote
18:30-21:30h - Thursdays - 29 Oct - 17 Dec
Graduation show - 18 Dec
What is this course about?
This course is an in depth introduction to the world of writing comedy. We’re going to learn about the basic principles of
building a comedic narrative and the how’s of performing stand-up comedy.
Will I learn to write stories and comedic monologues?
Yes. But that’s not the only thing you’ll learn.
Will I learn the how to get on stage and make people laugh?
Yes, and then some.
Will I learn to love and accept myself, honoring the teachings of the JOKER, being that if I embrace my own sense of humor
nothing can stop me?
Well, I mean... we don’t know if that’s the message the movie is trying to deliver but, yes, sure, we’ll try.
You’ll take 8 classes, each 3-hours short, one per week between the months of October and November. We will learn both the theory and the practice of stand-up comedy, from the desk work to the stage.
Each class will consist of a lecture on a specific topic, creative games, and space for writing and feedback.
The final bit of the workshop will be focused on polishing your 5-minute set, getting it ready for performing it at our graduation show 04 December.
Class 1: Laughter and creativity
● Playing with ideas
● What makes YOU laugh?
● Humor is a state of mind
Class 2: The audience of the joke
● The joke as a communicative act
● Plausibility, hypotheses and expectations
Class 3: Structure
● Structure of the joke: set up and punchline
● Scructure of the set: creating and closing bits
● Rythm: beats and pauses
Class 4: Absurd humor
● Creating meaning to break it
● Delusion and deception
Class 5: Dark Humor
● Benign violation theory
● Does humor have limits?
Class 6: Political Humor
● Transgressions as critique
● Playfulness and ideology
● Who has the mic?
Class 7: To the stage!
● The here and now
● Asking for feedback
● Sculpting our stage persona
Class 8: From the game to the craft
● Turning the process into results
Included in this course:
A Whatsapp group (‘cause we all love those) for Q&A during the week and to share comedy resources with your peers.
A Google Drive folder filled with:
• Extensive humor theory bibliography
• A categorized link-library of stand up comedians and their sets
• Outlined notes of what we saw each class
• A video of every bit you bring to class (optional) and the feedback you receive
• Illustrated theories in Powerpoint slides
A lovely group of people you’ll give and get feedback from, every time you need it, in or out of class time.
An easylaughs course includes:
- A graduation show at the end of the 8 weeks
- A video of your performance at the graduation show
- FREE entry to easylaughs Friday shows* (for the duration of the course)
- FREE entry to easylaughs Sunday improv workshops* (for the duration of the course)
- DISCOUNT on easylaughs music workshops* (for the duration of the course)
Lara produces La Risa, a weekly comedy night in Spanish, and co-produces four comedy nights in English.
She’s also a House comedian at The Comedy Embassy, and a co-host of the The Comedy Undergraz Podcast with UvA Radio.
*Please note: We offer free shows and workshops when available. We are currently limited to the amount of people we can accommodate due to COVID-19 restrictions. We are also subject to show and/or workshop cancellations due to COVID-19.
IRL COURSE-StandUp InDepth-Beg