Tue, 23 Feb|
Location is TBD
IRL COURSE - Stand-up Comedy - In Depth - Beginners
easylaughs is psyched to offer this deep dive into the basic principles of stand-up comedy!
Time & Location
23 Feb 2021, 18:30 CET – 13 Apr 2021, 22:30 CEST
Location is TBD
About the Event
Taught by Fer Rodil
18:30-21:30h - Tuesdays
23 Feb - 13 Apr
Graduation show - 16 Apr
Please note: if COVID measures don't allow this class to start/continue in person, we will start/continue online.
What is this course about?
This course is an in depth introduction to the world of writing comedy. We’re going to learn about the basic principles of
building a comedic narrative and the how’s of performing stand-up comedy.
Will I learn to write stories and comedic monologues?
Yes. But that’s not the only thing you’ll learn.
Will I learn the how to get on stage and make people laugh?
Yes, and then some.
Will I learn to love and accept myself, honoring the teachings of the JOKER, being that if I embrace my own sense of humor
nothing can stop me?
Well, I mean... we don’t know if that’s the message the movie is trying to deliver but, yes, sure, we’ll try.
You’ll take 8 classes, each 3-hours short, one per week. We will learn both the theory and the practice of stand-up comedy, from the desk work to the stage.
Each class will consist of a lecture on a specific topic, creative games, and space for writing and feedback.
The final bit of the workshop will be focused on polishing your 5-minute set, getting it ready for performing at our graduation show.
Class 1: Laughter and creativity
● Playing with ideas
● What makes YOU laugh?
● Humor is a state of mind
Class 2: The audience of the joke
● The joke as a communicative act
● Plausibility, hypotheses and expectations
Class 3: Structure
● Structure of the joke: set up and punchline
● Scructure of the set: creating and closing bits
● Rythm: beats and pauses
Class 4: Absurd humor
● Creating meaning to break it
● Delusion and deception
Class 5: Dark Humor
● Benign violation theory
● Does humor have limits?
Class 6: Political Humor
● Transgressions as critique
● Playfulness and ideology
● Who has the mic?
Class 7: To the stage!
● The here and now
● Asking for feedback
● Sculpting our stage persona
Class 8: From the game to the craft
● Turning the process into results
Included in this course:
A Whatsapp group (‘cause we all love those) for Q&A during the week and to share comedy resources with your peers.
A Google Drive folder filled with:
• Extensive humor theory bibliography
• A categorized link-library of stand up comedians and their sets
• Outlined notes of what we saw each class
• A video of every bit you bring to class (optional) and the feedback you receive
• Illustrated theories in Powerpoint slides
A lovely group of people you’ll give and get feedback from, every time you need it, in or out of class time.
An easylaughs course includes:
- A graduation show at the end of the 8 weeks
- A video of your performance at the graduation show
- FREE entry to easylaughs Friday shows* (for the duration of the course)
- FREE entry to easylaughs Sunday improv workshops* (for the duration of the course)
Fer is an Argentinian filmmaker, comedian and actor. He has more than ten years of experience onstage acting and performing comedy. He created the sketch comedy series Ctrl+JETA for Cablevisión Argentina, which was nominated for three big awards (big in Argentina). He writes and ilustrates humorous cartoons on Instagram, in @unperrovegano (he’s starting the English version in @onevegandog).
*Please note: If COVID measures don't allow class to meet in person, we will continue class online. We offer free shows and workshops when available. We are currently limited to the amount of people we can accommodate due to COVID-19 restrictions. We are also subject to show and/or workshop cancellations due to COVID-19.
IRL COURSE-StandUp InDepth-Beg